Organizational Chart as of January 2010:
Academy Board of Directors
FACULTY AFFAIRS TASK GROUP
FINANCIAL AFFAIRS TASK GROUP
STUDENT AFFAIRS TASK GROUP
NOMINATING & AWARDS COMMITTEE
A. Academy Board
The Academy Board (Board) consists of a President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Past President, and four other Board members.
B. Task Groups
Task Groups will support the Board in accomplishing Academy or Department goals and objectives. They should be formed as required and submit findings and recommendations to the Board for consideration and implementation.
Task Groups consists of at least one Board member (acting as Chair, liaison, or in an ex-officio capacity), a faculty member(s) and general membership as approved by the Task Group Chairs, and the Nominating and Awards Committee.
Board and Task Group membership is not restricted to NMSU Alumni and should be selected based on Academy needs and personnel background.
1. Faculty Affairs Task Group(s)
The functions are to review departmental practices as to faculty retention, recruitment, salary and sabbaticals, and to promote contractor/industry participation, professionalism/registration and consider other items related to the faculty. The group (s) should consider and make recommendations regarding department curriculum, department goals, accreditation, short courses and seminars, engineering extension, research, and other items affecting the CE Department on the administrative level. A Task Group can be created for each program within the Department. At least one (1) Board member, two (2) faculty and two (2) Associate Members should serve on each Task Group.
2. Financial Affairs Task Group(s)
Their function is to promote and generate donations, scholarships, gifts and grants for the CAGE Department. Separate groups could be developed for Buildings, Equipment, Scholarships and Supplies. At least one (1) Board member and one (1) Associate Member should serve on each Task Group.
3. Student Affairs Task Group(s)
Their function is to consider items concerning student-school relations, career guidance, placement, registration and professionalism, registration exam preparation, employment, cooperative employment agreements, advisory for classes and other items related to the general well being of the student. A separate group could exist for each of the professional / technical / trade organizations (AGC, ASCE, XE) involved with the Department. At least one (1) Board member and two (2) Associate Members should serve on each Task Group.
C. Meetings of the Membership
1. An annual meeting of the membership shall be held at such time and at such place as shall be determined by the Board.
2. There shall be an Induction Ceremony for the purpose of inducting newly elected membership, and it shall usually be held in conjunction with the annual meeting at a time and place determined by the Board.
3. There may be other meetings as shall be determined either by the Board or by a petition signed by one-third of the Active Members who shall require the Board to call such a meeting.
4. Each meeting shall be announced by mail thirty (30) days prior to the date of the meeting.
D. Quorum at the Annual Meeting
1. A quorum at the annual meeting shall consist of thirty (30) percent of the Active Members present.
2. Every act or decision made either when a majority of the membership is present or when a quorum is present shall be an act of the membership.
E. Board of Directors
1. The Board of Directors (Board) shall consist of eight (8) directors with two (2) elected by and from the Active Members at each annual meeting. In addition, the immediate Past President shall serve as a director.
2. Each vacancy on the Board occurring from death, resignation, or nonparticipation shall be filled at the next annual meeting of the Board. The Board Members will elect a Director to complete the un-expired term for each vacancy.
3. The Head and the Associate Head of the CE Department may serve as members ex-officio.
4. The term of Board members and officers will begin after the annual membership meeting. There will be no vote by proxy, and a majority of the membership or of a quorum present shall elect the Board.
1. The officers of the Board shall be a President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and Past President. They shall be elected by and from the Board promptly after the election of the Board by the Active Members. The officers shall serve one (1) year terms.
2. The officers shall have such duties as are necessary for the purposes and functions of the organization and such duties as are assigned by the Board.
3. The officers shall serve without compensation but shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred, if such expenses are authorized and approved by the Board.
1. The Board shall authorize and the President shall appoint such committees as are necessary to advance the purposes and business of the Academy.
2. There shall be a Membership Committee of at least five (5) Active Members, one (1) of which shall serve as Chair, and said committee shall take such action as is necessary to comply with articles of these by-laws. At least one (1) Board member should serve on this committee.
3. There shall be a Nominating and Awards Committee of at least three (3) Active Members, who shall present a slate of candidates for election as new Board Members at the annual meeting. The Commitee should listen to and recommend to the Board any awards concerning the recognition of any or all members. The Past President of the Board should serve on this Committee.