- Members shall be limited to living individuals who were duly elected and subject to the following conditions:
- Each Member shall hold a degree in (civil, agricultural, or geological) engineering from New Mexico State University or from a recognized engineering school granted at least 20 years prior to election. The member’s degree and professional activities shall attest to his competence in (civil, agricultural, or geological) engineering.
- Each Member candidate shall receive at least a three-fourths affirmative vote of the total votes cast for election to membership.
- The number of Members from each program shall not exceed 10% of the NMSU graduates, and not more than 2% of the NMSU graduates may be elected in each year.
- The number of Members from (civil, agricultural or geological) engineering departments at universities other than New Mexico State University may not exceed 15% of the Academy Members and not more than three from a (civil, agricultural or geological) engineering department other than New Mexico State University may be elected in each year.
- A Member candidate who is elected to membership shall be present for induction at the first or second induction ceremony held after his election, except that the Board may waive this requirement in the event of illness of the candidate, absence of the candidate from the country, or other reasons acceptable by the Board. If this requirement is not waived by the Board, the candidate’s invitation shall be withdrawn after the second induction ceremony and his status shall be the same as though he had not been elected.
B. Active Members
Active Members of the Academy are those members that have provided their suggested donation in the past year, as defined by the Board.
C. Honorary Members
Honorary Members shall be living or deceased individuals who are duly elected and subject to the following conditions:
- Each shall have had the three-fourths affirmative vote of the Membership Committee and unanimous approval of the Board and three-fourths affirmative vote of the membership or a quorum of Active Members present at an annual meeting.
- At no time shall the living Honorary Members from (civil, agricultural, or geological) Engineering departments other than New Mexico State University exceed twenty (20) percent of the elected living Honorary Members.
- A living candidate’s induction to Honorary Membership shall be scheduled thirtydays before the next induction ceremony following his election. HonoraryMembers may be inducted without being present.
D. Distinguished Members
Distinguished Members shall consist of those members who have died.
E. Associate Members
Nominations of appropriate individuals to serve as Associate Members in the Academy can be made by members, faculty, student chapters, and members of outside organizations. Additional nominations may be made by any member.
Associate Members of the Academy can be any graduate of the programs of the Department. Upon satisfying the minimum time requirement of 20 years (Ref. IV.A.1) an Associate Member shall be considered as having met all requirements of membership and shall be extended that distinction upon payment of such Initiation fees and annual suggested donations as defined by the Board.